5 thoughts on “Homework Policy”

1. Hello,

Can I add that the draft policy, along with any suggested amendments/changes/ideas from parents, will be shared with our School Council and Governing Board before we implement the policy. It’s an opportunity to have your say – so I encourage you to let us know what you think.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

2. Hi,
    I am very grateful to be given the opportunity to feedback over the schools “Draft Homework Policy”. I did nearly miss the opportunity and am grateful an email was sent out as a reminder on 10th January. I do read the Newsletter, but the last week of term was a very busy time and we didn’t get much opportunity to digest all the information there-in. Initially this information went out on the “Whole School Blog”, and I would just like to query whether the “Whole School Blog” part of the website gave as much publicity as it should to potential changes in such an important school document, and whether feed back in the form of a “blog” is completely appropriate. Maybe I am just old fashioned.
    In regards to homework generally, my eldest child was a school transfer to Devonshire Road in 2015, she is currently in Year 4. My middle child is in Year 1. I have a three year old also. We love Devonshire Road Primary School and think it is a very special place. We have always embraced the schools ethos of “Bringing out the Best in Everyone”. So I am sorry to say that the practice of giving project type homework to young children is all very problematic for us, and does not “bring out the best” in me, as the busy Mum of three children, two of whom are school aged.
    As parents we are completely committed to our children’s education and working in partnership with a school that we are very happy with. We have no issues with supporting and assisting our children with reading, phonics, spellings or doing Mathletics tasks. A lot of our evening time is taken up with these tasks, and we try our best even though we have a young child as well. We can see that through this there will be some consolidation of the learning that they have done in school. We certainly struggle for time with the lengthy project type work and it often causes stress within the household and gives a negative feeling to “doing homework”. The project type homework often becomes a laborious task undertaken by overtired parents with overtired children as we always prioritise as your pyramid dictates. Our personal view is that we would much prefer more directed and structured pieces of work, if indeed more homework is required. Clearly this is a personal opinion.
    On a positive note, the “Aims of Providing Homework” section is very clear. The triangles to assist with the prioritisation of Homework are also useful tools. Giving clear guidance on the roles of everyone is helpful.
    However, having said that, I would also just like to comment on some points in the “The Childs Role” within the draft policy. It concerns me that there is a lot of expectation going onto very young shoulders. Not that the school should not strive for supporting children to be as independent in their learning as possible, more that I am not sure how achievable the child’s role is within this policy.
    To ensure that all information regarding homework is presented to a parent
    We have real difficulty motivating our children for the project type homework and often find ourselves having to nag and cajole our children into taking an interest when they have read, done their spellings, been on the mathletics etc. I’m not sure how realistic this point is for young children.
    To complete the homework within the allocated time:
    Our children are young and not really aware of allocated time frames just yet. I also think it is unrealistic for young children to be expected to pace themselves. Perhaps more instruction of both parents and children needs to take place to make this achievable.
    To complete the homework to the same standard as work completed in school:
    As parents who attend Parents Evenings and engage fully with the school, we are still not clear what standard of work our children are achieving at school and so don’t really have a true comparison.
    To return homework meeting the deadlines set:
    For our eldest child a deadline is not usually included in the details of the project work and this makes it difficult to pace the work as parents, we have to get our child to ask, which is unnecessary.
    Whilst we will continue to assist our children in the completion of all aspects of their homework our personal view is that the amount of homework has become too much. It feels like we are somehow “mopping up” the educational needs of our children due to the curriculum becoming so expansive. I believe, simply from talking to other parents, that many would benefit from support themselves in helping their children to complete particularly the project type homework. For example perhaps seeing another child’s work from that year group could be helpful. Also, the “child’s role” could be made more age group specific.
    Overall, within the context of what I have mentioned, this Homework Policy is reasonable.
    I hope this is received in the constructive spirit in which is intended.
    Yours sincerely
    Rachel Ivill

• Hello Mrs Ivill,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. We really value your comments and thank you for the time and thought that you’ve put into this.
      You have given us food for thought regarding our policy and how we should move forward. For example, we obviously haven’t made it clear that our homework topics are organised in order that children can respond in a variety of different ways (taking differing amounts of time, depending on the child and their needs).
      I intend to print your response (and others we receive) and take it to our Governing Board meeting where the policy will be discussed. Our parent governor representatives will share your ideas and views which will feed into the discussion.
      Once the Governing Board have made their decision, I will inform you of the outcome.

3. We feel homework is an important part of shared learning. It gives parents opportunity to discuss and discover what learning is taking place and an opportunity to demonstrate an active interest and encouragement in our children’s education.

4. Thank you for your submissions about the draft homework policy. Your submission were considered by our Pupil Welfare Committee yesterday (07.02.17) who decided to accept the Homework Policy in it’s current form. This policy will then be discussed at the upcoming Full Governing Body Meeting with the recommendation from the committee that the policy is adopted.
    Thank you again.
    Mrs Bladen